Old Colwyn was mentioned in early surveys as Coloyne.
In 1399 King Richard II, an unpopular monarch, was taken prisoner at Penmaen Head on his return from Ireland by Bolingbrook, who later succeeded him as Henry IV
This time as Colwun.
Colwyn appears on tombstones in Llandrillo churchyard
1849 saw the completion of the National School, funded with a grant of £100.00 from the National Society. Prior to that, the chapels throughout Wales provided education and the literacy level of the Welsh people was far above that of England as a result. However this was in Welsh.
The National School was expanded with an infants classroom funded by Lady Erskine
Nonconformists, refusing to attend church on Sunday were "dismissed". They responded by starting a new school in the hay loft of the Plough Inn
Electric lighting is extended to Old Colwyn
Tramway is extended to Old Colwyn
Penmaenhead Viaduct Opens
Old Colwyn Railway station was closed
The inventor of the innovative diamond stylus, Mr. Coathup, took over the Supreme Cinema as his base in the early 1960s and went on to distribute them worldwide. The premises are now the Co-op store in Cefn Road.
The Edwards family owned the mill and ran a horse dealing business at Llawr Pentre. The smithy there closed in 1998 but Stewart Williams, "Metal Art" is the grandson and son of previous smiths in Llawr Pentre and still creates metal work in Llandudno. Older residents remember the blacksmith from the 40s and 50s, Stewart's grandfather, who was a real character, Tommy "Irish" Williams.